Merchandise Licensing & Partnerships Consultant
Marketing, Comms and Development · Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam
UBONGO is Africa’s leading producer of kids’ edutainment. As a non-profit social enterprise, we create fun, localized, and multi-platform educational content that helps kids learn, and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches over 27 million kids across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio, and mobile phones. Our show’s Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me currently air in 23 countries across Africa, in Swahili, English, French, Kinyarwanda, Kikuyu, Luo, Yoruba, Hausa, Chichewa, and Juba Arabic.
Job Position: We are looking for a Merchandise Licensing & Partnerships Consultant. Working at Ubongo won’t be easy, but it will challenge and excite you with lots of responsibilities, plenty of fun, and give you the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of kids every day.
We’re looking for a dynamic, creative and flexible Merchandise Licensing & Partnerships Consultant to expand and improve our merchandise department. You’ll work closely with our Creative Marketing Manager and Head of Communications and Development to come on board full of ideas, plans and a vision on how Ubongo can strategically improve the merchandise department to meet consumer needs as well as help launch our licensing efforts in Tanzania.
- Lead in conducting market research and use this data to create a merchandise and licensing strategy for Tanzania
- Conduct market research in Tanzania with potential customers; willingness to pay for different types of products, how they want to engage with us
- Support in user-testing prototypes with different groups and use this information to develop new products and identify the right partnerships for specific items
- Research on rules regarding utilization of brand, character and event merchandising in East Africa
- Research and compile information checklist on; Marketing compliance and customer privacy for Tanzania
- Research on various merchandising licensing models that have been utilized specifically in educational shows and or children contents.
- Establish a brand royalty rate by industry – specifically researching and identifying factors that determines the rates for the EA markets
- Stay current on market trends and competition and bring new ideas that will enhance product offering and provide a competitive edge in the marketplace.
- Identify and develop relationships with the partners to secure the production and distribution of quality products
- Identify, evaluate and recommend new key business partners to the company for licensing, promotion and partnerships deals in line with the Company’s strategy. Work with Product teams and other internal teams to validate partners
- Negotiate categories, product selection, minimum guarantees, royalty rates, payment terms and territory with licensees, to achieve strong margins and competitive price points at retail
- Secure partnership and distribution deals that fall in line with the company’s merchandise strategy
- Work with the legal team on partner contractual compliance and that licensees comply with all the terms and conditions of our relationship
- Carry out regular day to day tasks for example e-mail communications with partners, scheduled conference calls, information updates, travel and constantly seeking partnerships opportunities
- Contribute to marketing strategy for product promotions and collaborate with creative marketing manager to create effective marketing messaging
REQUIREMENT: KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE and QUALIFICATIONS ESSENTIALS:
- Excellent interpersonal/management skills
- Proven negotiation skills.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of current market trends in licensing, the competitive landscape, retail and licensing terms
- Must be highly motivated, proactive, self-starter with high energy and team spirit
- Strong business savvy
- Excellent presentation skills, including the ability to lead discussions and interact with senior executives (internally and externally)
- Strong financial and analytical skills; ability to create internal and external reports
- Ability to forecast issues in projects, troubleshoot, and problem solve with internal constituents and external partners
- Good knowledge in merchandising and/or licensing industry
- Business oriented thinking, understanding of license agreements
- Organized, rigorous, creative, autonomous, you show initiative and have good interpersonal skills to join our team.
- Team player
- Fluent in Kiswahili and English
- Be willing to wear many hats!
- At least 2-3 years’ experience in category, product, marketing and/or brand management
- Educational Background required Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing or related discipline
- Should be ready to start in July (6 months consultancy contract with a possible extension into a full-time role
Phew! You made it through that. The good thing is that there are also perks, like a delicious healthy lunch at the office , flexible working hours and working remotely and you get to watch cartoons at work.
To apply for this job please visit ubongo.bamboohr.com.